The TORCH committee is proud to offer TCS members two upcoming virtual conversations to help address the current racial injustice and inequality. Our guest speaker will be Billy Planer, founder of Etgar 36, a political and social justice program focused on educating and inspiring thoughtful change.
Each conversation is between 60 – 90 minutes and includes time for Q&A.
Click Here for Link
Wednesday, August 19th at 6:30 pm
Jews and Blacks in the Civil Rights
Era and Now: Midrash and Fact
Explore the reality of the relationship between the Jewish and Black communities during the Civil Rights era.
- Why were there Jews on both sides, and the sidelines, of the Civil Rights movement?
- What was the role of Judaism in the activism of young people in the 1960s?
- What are the implications for the streets of America today?
Tuesday, August 25th at 6:30 pm
How to be Comfortable Having Uncomfortable conversations: Turn Down the Heat
America is so split that trying to speak across
the divide feels impossible. Whether it is one
on one, with friends, family or your community,
discussions about race, politics or Israel seem
to be too heated and contentious to have.
- How can we have these important and necessary conversations without “all the heat”?
- How can you practice self-care as you enter into uncomfortable conversations?
- How to rethink what success looks like during a difficult conversation.